Sunday, February 19, 2017

My soothing amoral bias


Note: the term "amoral" means without morality, not against morality. That's the other word: "immoral."

Back in early 2016, (or was it 15'?) I can't remember. Anyway, I was sitting on my couch smoking some bomb ass weed. I was high as a kite and thinking about politics — something I do with unhealthy regularity. I tend to become liberal when I'm high. I also become much better at understanding human motives. I guess my mirror neurons light up or something and I acquire a deep ability to understand how others perceive me. For a moment, I am not autistic. (Though I am not really autistic). the motives and perceptions of normies become crystal clear — and to quote Q, I "become as weak and as incompetent as all of you."

I know, arrogant. Right?

My IQ drops like a whole 21 points. I become just a stupid as everyone else. (That's a bad joke. 21 points is not much) If only I could live my whole life like this!

Anyway, while high out of my mind I had an epiphany, and like all epiphanies you have while on drugs, it was completely 100% true and in no way misguided at all.

The epiphany was that the system/universe whatever, was not a system that was failing to live up to its virtues, but succeeding. The political system was not a failing democracy but a succeeding fascism. Even worse, the moral code of the universe was itself fascist.

Before this, politics was upsetting to me. After, not so much. Over the course of several months I genuinely began to simply not care, and it is glorious.

You see, life struggles against entropy for survival. All life must work to survive, even if it's definition of work is a bacteria absorbing nutrients or a rabbit eating grass. The rules of the universe are set in opposition. The morals of life are the result of that opposition. So morality is angry. But one doesn't really need the anger. One just needs to keep working and that is fairly straightforward. And it's like that line from the movie Devil's Advocate where Satin himself, (superbly played by Al Pacino) says;
"Guilt is like a bag of fucking bricks. All you gotta is set it down... Who are you carrying all those bricks for anyway? God? Is that it? God? Well I tell you. Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift and then what does he do? I swear, for his own amusement, his own private cosmic gag reel he sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch but don't taste. Taste but don't swallow. And while you're jumping on one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughing his sick fucking ass off. He's a tightass. He's a sadist. He's an absentee-landlord!"
I just set down my bag of bricks. You can too. Set it down. Go ahead. You know you want to. Just let it all go.

This is about the naturalistic attitude in politics.

But really there are two reasons that you should just not care about morality where politics is concerned. Call these two reasons the planned obsolesce of religion and therapy and the algorithmic filter bubble of psychological torture.

The Planned Obsolesce of Religion and Therapy

Imagine that you and your broheim start your own cool cult in your basement. You discover all the secrets of life and decide to share them with the world. When people come to your subterranean church you tell them the awesome secrets of the universe and they instantly find inner peace. Or maybe it takes a few months. Whatever. The whole point is that you are making people happy. They leave your church with inner peace and joy at how awesome life now is, and walk around will smug shit-eating grins on their faces that disturb all the kiddies.

So you lose all your customers because they now have inner peace and no longer need you.

Now I start a competitor cult down the road. I don't give people inner peace. I just give them temporary relief, and my relief lasts oh, say a week. After about a week they need to come back to me for more relief. So my customers keep coming back. As a result I have lots of money to hire missionaries to go around spreading my culty half-baked gospel. My religion grows and thrives. I buy a Bentley and build a megachurch. Good for me.

So my customers keep coming back forever and ever and my religion takes over the world.

The same shit happens with therapists. A shrink that makes you better on the first visit gets no return business, but a shrink who "rations" the cure gets repeated business. He doesn't even have to try to be like this. The market will simply sort along these lines and reward only the moderately effective while both the incompetent and super-competent will be driven out. Just like bad money drives out good money mediocre shrinks will drive out superlative ones. Probably. Maybe. I think.

In theory anyways. I could be totally wrong. I have no proof. But this is what I mean when I say that ideologies are built on giving people pain. They induce need in the recipient. And as far as I can tell the only way to make people need an invisible savior is to give them some emotional disturbance that can only be cured by coming back, again and again, to the witch doctor who gave it to them. This is how it works in the political realm, with ideologies being invented to torment people so they need the ideologue. Feminism anyone? Identity politics? Liberation theology? Marxism? Hopefully it doesn't work this way with psychologists.

Ever heard of induced demand? It's not really the same thing, but you get the idea.

IF, I am right, it would mean that the only real path to inner peace is the one you make for yourself. I hope I am wrong. But I found some peace by simply divorcing myself from morality in the political realm. Morality is anguish. Morality is pain. Morality is rage. I just let it go.

The Algorithmic Filter Bubble of Psychological Torture

But it can be hard to let it go because we are trapped in filter bubbles.

Let us say that you log on to evil face-borg on the interwebs. This is something you should never do. But for whatever reason you feel compelled to. There you see some bullshit that infuriates you. So you click on it. Quite natural human response. Oops. You just done f**ed up.

Because that algorithm learns what you click on. So it presents you with more of the same information. Let us say that a liberal on face-schmuck keeps clicking on stuff that shows Donald Trump making an idiot out of himself and embarrassing America. And let us say that every excruciating detail and every misstep of the Trump administration is presented to this person on face-cuck. And let us say that it all scares and enrages them. And let us say that they simply cannot stop themselves from clicking on it over and over again. So the algorithm is torturing them and driving them insane. Eventually they go out and riot. They cannot stand it anymore. Their online social media life is like being slow boiled alive. Or as Morpheus would say;
"it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?"
The algorithm?

Oh my God. The algorithm is the Matrix!

No, but really. It is a torture bubble. As long as you keep clicking on the machine the machine will keep torturing you. This is yet another reason to develop a cold amoral, (not immoral) way of looking at the world and its politics — to avoid psychological torture by its algorithms. Perversely, to escape a machine designed by heartless programmers you must become a little cold yourself. Faceberg isn't going to un-facef***k itself. You have to stop clicking on the bullshit that's driving you insane. It's the only way man.

So here is the point;

(1) Let it go.
(2) Click on other stuff to prevent your filter bubble from ruining your happiness.
(3) Realize that your worldview was probably designed by market sorting effects to give you anguish and rage.
(4) Stop craving pain and look for an inner peace of your own making.

Of course everyone who is still obsessed with morality in politics finds a naturalistic political perspective either sociopathic or infuriating.

But that is the cost of any amount of inner peace. In a world of tortured people you can either conform and be as miserable as all of them, or your can step outside it all and develop your own viewpoint. There are structural/algorithmic reasons that everyone is miserable. The market rewards it in many ways. The political machine cultivates misery to cultivate dependent voters who can be controlled. Even with no one consciously doing this it would still happen. Algorithmic market forces would still elevate a minimum level of hysteria into cultural prevalence. At the root and ground of all reality is math. People's beliefs are not derived from reason but from the mathematical forces inherent in various systems that incentivize the prevalence of particular beliefs over others. There is no one in charge. It is just an algorithm. There is no reason to assume the algorithm is benevolent or malevolent. It just is.

One really has a choice between either (a), being in harmony with humanity and disharmony inside, OR, (b) being in disharmony with humanity and harmony inside. Rejecting humanities moral anguish is a form of exile that restricts what you can say in polite company without being rejected, but, it comes with inner psychological benefits. All the philosophies that people believe in are designed by market selection forces to generate repeat business, and not to make people happy. By definition these ideologies cannot heal them completely. They have to want peace. They have to change their own behavior. They have to stop clicking on what makes them miserable, stop buying into dissatisfying ideologies, and stop giving ratings to their tormentors. Only then can they liberate themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment